Happy to be Dieseling with a clean conscience

tigerdog

Reactions
We were a victim of VW's cheating 2.0L diesel debacle. I immediately decided to take the buyback, not trusting them to preserve the nature of the car with any approved fix. Being offered a buyback too great to ignore, we decided to take the money and run! We also needed to replace an aging Honda Pilot, and a GLK250 was just the right fit. We took the plunge before VW buybacks commenced - I suspect there will be very few pre-owned, late model, non-VW diesels on the market in a month or so.

We love the GLK. I'm having to adapt to its quirks; I find the COMAND interface to be complicated and unintuitive compared to a simple touchscreen. I understand the ergonomic argument and the ability to operate without looking (at least after memorizing twisty-clicky sequences.) And both my wife and I love the way it drives!

My only real complaint is with the headlights. Our GLK is not equipped with HID and the low beams are just flat inadequate. The last two cars I owned, when turning, activated the fog light on the turning side to act as a cornering light. We live in a twisty residential area and really need to do something. The lack of front fog lamps is also disconcerting. The headlights on our 1996 BMW Z3 are vastly superior.

JackMc

Reactions
I also knew this would happen so we purchased our 2015 GLK250 two weeks ago to replace our TDI Sportswagen that is going back to the dealer December 29th. It's already getting difficult to find nice examples of the GLK250s and I imagine they'll be snatched up by other TDIers once they get their buy back check. We love ours so far. The dash and controls are very similar to our E350 so I had no problems getting used to it on the drive home. It does everything better than my old vw so I couldn't be happier!

OP
T

tigerdog

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Great minds think alike, JackMc!
At this point, I'm researching headlamp bulb alternatives (H7 low beam is easier than H15 high, that's for sure) and I'm thinking of trying to add aftermarket front fog lamps. It seems silly for Benz to have completely eliminated them.

cme4lyt

Reactions
VW gets my TDI back in 2 weeks and hopefully by that time I will have a deal on a GLK250 I viewed today.

So looking forward to this and looking forward to sharing some interesting GLK info in this forum.

Thanks in advance !!

JackMc

Reactions
I turned in my Sportswagen last Thursday and our 2015 white/tan GLK250 is parked in it's old spot. EVERYTHING is better! The GLK handles so well and is such a pleasure to drive compared to the VW. I guess you really do get what you pay for but with this "once in a lifetime" money from VW we didn't end up spending much on the Mercedes so that makes it just that much sweeter.

Reactions
Did the exact same thing for same reason. I was looking for a CPO GLK250 to replace my A3 TDI. Pulled the trigger in July when courts approved buyback packages. Knew it would be tough to find a good used one when all the VW trade-in mayhem was going on.

There were basically two vehicles in the U.S that fit my criteria of a family-friendly size diesel with AWD for the snow (but not so big it defeated the purpose of the diesel fuel efficiency)...the GLK250 or the BMW 328d X-drive wagon. That wagon is one beautiful car, but they are much pricier than the GLK. Or, so it would seem. Once I learned EVERYTHING is an add-on feature in the MB world...that 328d wagon may be a better deal. I do really like the car overall - I just find the idea of an MB coming without HID/LED headlights standard - a bit weird. I will definitely be adding HID lights once the warranty expires. Just be aware - the models with the HIDs have auto-leveling software to avoid glare for oncoming drivers. Adding HIDs without the leveling mechanism/software may put you in a bad spot on certain inclines and angles.

hakkal?gi

Reactions
I had 2 TDI?S, traded one in (for a new Tiguan) just prior to Dieselgate and turned the other in for compensation. Traded the Tiguan in for a 2015 GLK 350 4matic this past summer and love it, and I think the 6 cylinder GLK actually gets slightly better fuel economy than the 4 cylinder Tiguan...win win!

Here?s both cars the day I picked up the GLK.