Steering Wheel Vibrations

Reactions
On March 17, 2016 I took delivery of the GLC300 4matic Launch Edition. This is my first purchase of Benz vehicle. I like everything about the car except the suspension. I have never driven a vehicle that drives the way this one does. It is not what I would expect from Mercedes.
When I drive down the highway at 60 to 70 MPH and I hit a bump in the road the steering wheel vibrates. If I encounter a moderately severe bump (that any other vehicles would absorb with no problem) at highway speeds, the steering wheel vibration is amplified to a full shutter of the front end. I has happened on multiple occasions.
Two different Mercedes Benz shop foreman have driven my vehicle and other GLCs with all the same results. All of the vehicles have the same steering wheel vibrations and suspension problem. This is an issue that needs to be addressed by Mercedes Benz.

Yesterday I went back to the MB dealer to see if there were any updates to the suspension problem. No new TSB has come out. While I was at the dealer I spoke with the sales rep that sold me the car. He offered me the opportunity to take a test drive in a 2017 GLC300 4matic. Regrettably the results were the same. The 2017 drove the same as the 2016. The steering wheel vibrations are still apparent. While I was driving at 60 to 70 MPH the sale rep said that he could also feel the residual vibrations in the steering wheel when we hit a road bump. I hope the MB is taking this matter seriously and is trying to resolve the problem. I urge every GLC owner who has noticed the steering wheel vibrations to contact there MB dealer and register a complaint. This is the only way the issue will be addressed by MB.

After 10 months and 7000 miles of driving the suspension problem that I complained about in August 2016 seems to have resolved it self. The steering wheel vibrations are just minor and i expect them to reduce further as the mileage goes up.

Last edited:
Reactions
Probably bad tire or bent rim? Have you tried driving another GLC on the same road to see if its the road or car?

OP
G
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for you suggestion. The steering wheel vibration has occurred on every GLC3004matic standard suspension that I have driven. Two MB service shop foreman haven driven my vehicle and other GLC's from their inventory and they have also noticed the steering wheel vibrations. I have also spoken with other owners who have noticed this issue. MB needs to redesign the suspension to correct the vibration problem.

albert

Reactions
is it RFT? I read from somewhere that it's just too hard and not absorbing energy thus transferring it back to the linkage.

Reactions
I am having the same issue with my 2022 GLC300 4Matic SUV. It mainly occurs at 80 to 90 km. I had the tires re-balanced, the rims machined, and the software update for the steering column done, but I still have the issue.