Run flat tires

Svenske01

Reactions
Recently I picked up a small sheet metal screw in the right front tire, producing a slow leak... The dealer refused to plug the tire and I had to spend almost $500 to have the tire replaced, balanced, and pay to have the old tire disposed of ... The car did not have 1,000 yet and the tire was not "Run flat"... What gives?

GLCFan

Staff Member
Reactions
That's correct, most shops won't repair run flats because it may compromise it's ability to sustain the required driving distance .

OP
Svenske01

Svenske01

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I seriously doubt that...With this Continental run flat one can drive on a flat as fast as 50 mph for a distance up to 50 miles...It's hard to believe that what I did ruined this tire...This tire was not run while flat ...It was discovered to be flat in my garage, was inflated, then driven to the dealer...It was not flat when I got there and still had 30 psi...

Reactions
I seriously doubt that...With this Continental run flat one can drive on a flat as fast as 50 mph for a distance up to 50 miles...It's hard to believe that what I did ruined this tire...This tire was not run while flat ...It was discovered to be flat in my garage, was inflated, then driven to the dealer...It was not flat when I got there and still had 30 psi...
Just call around, some tire shops will repair it, however most dealers wont for reliability reasons. Like GLCFan said some places don't do it because it it reduces the tire rating.

Reactions
Just get back from Americas Tire shop where my Michelin RF tire was second time patched and fixed.
image002.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions
[MENTION=26]MB330[/MENTION] did they charge you extra because of the run-flats or the standard fee?

Reactions
FREE, plus rotation and tire balance.
When they fixed first time they state that they able to fix because I had Michelin tires.

I use them from 1993. All my cars get tires from them.
last year daughter lease BMW 320i - next day get to American Tires and get tire warranty for 3 yrs at $121. BMW asking $640.
Capture.JPG

Reactions
Its really great to see some of these places take care of their customers.