Lighting improvements?

tigerdog

Reactions
Has anyone here attempted to improve the quality of their non-Bi-xenon headlamps? What approach have you taken and what were the results? Compared to my last two cars, our 2015 GLK's lamps are woefully inadequate. Heck, even our 1996 BMW Z3 has better lights! Please share if you've made improvements.

Reactions
Have you thought about getting an HID kit? For the low beam you can pickup any H7 kit.

OP
T

tigerdog

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Have you thought about getting an HID kit? For the low beam you can pickup any H7 kit.
I've thought about HID and LED replacements as well as uprated halogens. I need to preface by saying, I'm a stickler for beam pattern and vertical cutoff on low beams. My blood pressure goes up whenever some yahoo in a jacked up pickup truck pulls up behind me, with 8000K purple HIDs bulbs in reflector/lenses that were never meant for them. Blinding and offering no meaningful improvement in down-the-road light. Ugh, no thanks. The problem is, at least if properly designed, lens/reflector combinations are designed to focus and distribute light from a certain focal point. Halogen bulbs emit light from a defined line-source - the filament. Dual beams like H4 have two filaments, one of which is shielded to prevent scattering of up-light on low beams. HID bulbs radiate light from a point-source sphere, not a filament line source. LEDs are even harder to engineer, since the light source is unidirectional, perpendicular to the plane of the LED emitter.

I'm open to any improvements but I really would like to see before-and-after photos and/or video of the beam patterns on wall and down the road. If you've had a good experience, please share!

Reactions
The only bulbs that had any significant improvements for me in the past were SYLVANIA SilverStar. All the LED lights that I've looked up before were too bulky for our housing.