Welcome to the #1 Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum and Mercedes GLA community dedicated to Mercedes-Benz GLA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Mercedes-Benz GLA today!

Roof rack

jrvd68

Reactions
On the GLA Owners forum there is a topic about roof racks
Personally I will NOT cut of the tabs.
Also Thule as 2 compatible roofracks

Quote: I just put the MB racks on my GLA. There is a little tab on the front mounts that keeps the sunroof from opening. It's not a structural part and it doesn't seem to do anything or have any purpose other than preventing the sunroof from opening. My guess is that MB doesn't want you to put something on the rack that would interfere with the sunroof, open the sunroof and break it on whatever you put on the rack. Some kind of preventive dummy proofing? Once I take the racks off I'm going to clip those little tabs off. I like me some sunshine even when I'm carrying stuff up top!

Jonathan

Reactions
I purchased the roof rack from my local Mercedes dealer in Charlotte and they were very helpful. I have a sunroof and want it to open while the rack is installed... they spent a lot of time with me trying to make it work. Basically they would not modify the rails but I took them home and cut the tabs off the front rails. The back rail needed to be pushed back further than the specs to make clearance...the sun roof is fully functional and I can use them to carry long items such as lumber or bikes. The Thule racks were over $400 but I got the MB Racks for $250 because my local dealer was having a special on accessories for the month of December.

I took the car on the interstate and there is no wind noise eventhough the placement is wider than specs.