Welcome to the #1 Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum and Mercedes GLA community dedicated to Mercedes-Benz GLA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Mercedes-Benz GLA today!

Emergency Alert ATTN: Mercedes/Runonflat/Goodyear

runflat

Reactions
I ordered a 2016 S600 Maybach, it came with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 Runonflat tires.
Within approximately 9,000 miles on the tires, I had 3 tires where the belt came through the edge, see pictures.
runflat1.jpg runflat2.jpg runflat3.jpg

All 3 of the tires happened within a month of each other. It happened very quickly and I didn?t realize it was a problem tire. Because of what I was told, I could drive with the runonflat tires, the 2nd time the tire did not last 6 miles without the tire completely disintegrating and destroying the rim. The 3rd time, I went approximately 9 miles, at no more than 18 mph, as soon as I saw the alert come on my dash that I had low tire pressure. At that point I knew that another tire had failed. I did not have phone service, I did have the emergency button in the car, which I called and they informed me they could only call 911 for me. I was on a very small 2 lane road, that I could not stay on. I drove to the first pull over area where I had phone service, less than 3 miles. The tire continued to disintegrate, causing damage to the bumper, the side of the car, destroying the rim (see pictures), brake system sensor, wheel sensors.

damage1.jpg damage2.jpg

I called Mercedes service, they sent a flatbed. It was approximately $14,000 in damage. Mercedes warranty said they would not cover it. This could have been catastrophic. Anybody with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 Runonflat tires, that Mercedes provides, please inspect your tires. This is an absolute flaw in the tire and calls into question Mercedes engineering, testing procedures and safety (what else have they overlooked on supposedly one of the safest cars in the world?)

Please inspect your tires now if you are running with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 Runonflat tires. I have replaced all of my tires with Michelin. I did everything according to the manual. I can?t imagine what I have done wrong here.

3 upsetting points:

1. The tires are defective and they do not last.
2. The runonflat system is a joke! They need to give you a spare tire or do more testing to find a runonflat tire that does work.
3. Mercedes and the dealership are totally not honoring their warranty. Even the head of the service dept. said he was in shock that they were not covering the repairs. The president of the dealership, Paul Devers, of Vin Devers Autohaus in Sylvania, Ohio said that Mercedes USA will not cover it.

I am 56 years old, I have owned literally 100?s of cars, drive over 50,000 miles per year, have never been in an accident, except a fender bender which was not my fault, and I have a clean driving record. I would love to hear from you if you have this problem. This is an extremely condensed version of the events, however, I have not left out any facts. I have tried to be as accurate as possible. This is simply a system that does not work, especially with this defective product and engineering. Please answer back to my thread and let me know if you have had any similar problems.

GLAFan

Staff Member
Reactions
Sorry to see this happened to you. Shame on Mercedes for not covering your repairs.

TXGLA

Reactions
I drive 2016 Mercedes GLA with 13,xxx mile on it and my two front is Goodyear runflat tire need to be replace by warranty from Goodyear.